How Oxfordshire businesses are contributing to lowering the carbon and environmental footprint and how we ensure their success and growth
Join our skills workshop on 15th June, 2021 to discuss key skills and talent requirements for the Green Economy – focusing on engineering and software/data skills.
Climate change is one of the most pressing challenges of our time.
There are many Oxfordshire-based companies that are developing technology that will help in the transition to a low carbon, more sustainable economy. During 2020, Advanced Oxford has been undertaking research to examine the innovation-based low carbon and environmental goods and services sector within Oxfordshire – an area of activity that some refer to as clean-tech. Below you will find the results of our work, including case studies, a report on the sector and our recommendations to drive a green focused economic recovery, with innovation-based companies at its heart.
Key findings from our research
- 88% of companies surveyed think that Government’s focus on the green recovery is an opportunity for them
- The majority of pre-revenue companies expect to be revenue generating within one to two years
- Hiring to meet anticipated demand will see head count rise across innovation-based companies, with all companies projecting growth in the next three years, ranging from 10% – 500% growth
- 3 in 4 companies will need to raise more funds to fuel growth over the next three years
- Investment (80%), access to skilled employees (50%) and grant funding (50%), are quoted as vital growth enablers.
- Investment (60%), uncertain market (40%) and protecting IP (40%) are called out as key barriers to growth
Download the report
This report draws together our research and shines a spotlight on some of the exciting developments that are yet to reach the market – companies that are developing ground-breaking work to help solve the climate change emergency and address environmental challenges. As well as highlighting the technology and capability within the region, we detail a range of opportunities for companies working to develop low carbon and sustainable goods and services, including opportunities to work with the NHS, our universities and other industries and how to engage with local policy makers. Our report also examines what needs to be done to support growth and assesses the challenges faced by our innovative companies.
Tokamak Energy is pioneering commercial, clean, economic and globally deployable fusion energy in the heart of Oxfordshire It is hard to think of a clearer symbol of Oxfordshire’s central role in replacing the planet’s reliance on fossil fuels than the development of...